Naomi Momoh was born in Nigeria and is now based in Philadelphia. She is a sculpture artist with a focus on fiber art techniques and manipulations. She was introduced to crotchet at eight years old and was surrounded by bright textiles in Nigeria, which influenced her interest in fibers and fabric.
Her work investigates the intersections between race and gender from the point of view of her childhood. Traumas experienced during her childhood, due to these chaotic intersections are expressed through - physical deconstruction of toys / poetic deconstruction of children’s literature / fabric printing / intuitive sewing. Attempts to rebuild these memories and reconcile with her present. These memories are soft scraps / jagged soft forms colliding/ incomplete text that represent this cycle.
- 2020 MFA , Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, Philadelphia, PA
- 2018 BFA, Pratt Institute,Brooklyn, NY
- 2014 , IB ( International Baccalaureate), New Hampton School, New Hampton, NH
* 2020 April- May - EMBODY ZINE : Volume I , Volume II, ~digital~ https//link.bio/obgk
- 2020 ‘ABOUT THE 77 STREET WOMAN’, 414 W 121ST, NY
- 2020 ‘Jump Into the Fire’, Atelier FAS Gallery, 1301 North 31ST,Suite 2 , Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 ( Juried) ‘Variations of the Artist book with Philadelphia Center for the Book, 2nd Floor, City Hall, Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 ( Juried) ‘Roots of the past saving the future’, St Stephan’s Gallery, Wilmington, DE
- 2019 ‘ Magnum’ , Bushwick, 136 GrattanST, NY
- 2019 ‘Reflections’, Anne Bryan Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 ‘Secret Haunts’, PAFA, West desk lobby, Philadelphia, PA
*2020 September , ‘The Night is for walking down the street’, Spillway Collective, 1400 North American street 100B, Philadelphia, PA
*2020 September, ‘The Day is for Sleeping’, Tiger Strikes Asteroid
*2020 August, AIR ( Artist in Residence) Tiger Strikes Asteroid, 1400 N American street