Naomi Momoh was born in Nigeria and is now based in Philadelphia. She is a sculpture artist with a focus on fiber art techniques and manipulations. She received an MFA at Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine arts and a BFA at Pratt Institute. She was introduced to crotchet at eight years old and was surrounded by bright textiles in Nigeria, which influenced her interest in fibers and fabric.
Her work investigates the intersections between race and gender from the point of view of her childhood. Traumas experienced during her childhood, due to these chaotic intersections are expressed through - physical deconstruction of toys / poetic deconstruction of children’s literature / fabric printing / intuitive sewing. Attempts to rebuild these memories and reconcile with her present. These memories are soft scraps / jagged soft forms colliding/ incomplete text that represent this cycle.
- 2020 MFA , Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, Philadelphia, PA
- 2018 BFA, Pratt Institute,Brooklyn, NY
- 2014 , IB ( International Baccalaureate), New Hampton School, New Hampton, NH
- 2020 ‘ABOUT THE 77 STREET WOMAN’, 414 W 121ST, NY
- 2020 ‘Jump Into the Fire’, Atelier FAS Gallery, 1301 North 31ST,Suite 2 , Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 ( Juried) ‘Variations of the Artist book with Philadelphia Center for the Book, 2nd Floor, City Hall, Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 ( Juried) ‘Roots of the past saving the future’, St Stephan’s Gallery, Wilmington, DE
- 2019 ‘ Magnum’ , Bushwick, 136 GrattanST, NY
- 2019 ‘Reflections’, Anne Bryan Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- 2019 ‘Secret Haunts’, PAFA, West desk lobby, Philadelphia, PA